Paul Tan is a commercial litigation and international arbitration (both commercial and investor state) specialist. His practice focusses on managing disputes across South East Asia, with deep experience advising on complex issues of public and private international law.
Paul advises a wide range of clients, including leading multinational organisations, global insurers, financial institutions and Asian governments. Paul acts as lead counsel before international arbitral tribunals, the Singapore International Commercial Court, and arbitration-related litigation.
- Represented a global insurer in claims valued at up to S$2.5bn for the solicitation of 240 agents to a competitor before the Singapore courts.
- Represented a government in defending a multi-billion claim in relation to an oil exploration service contract. Philippine law and ICC rules apply.
- Represented a government in defending two claims of over US$700 million each in relation to a financial letter of undertaking concerning two water concessions. Philippine law and UNCITRAL rules apply.
- Represented the investor in the enforcement of an ICSID award against a State
- Singapore counsel to Lesotho in enforcement and setting-aside proceedings in Swissbourgh Diamonds v Lesotho before the Singapore courts
- Represented the Republic of Indonesia in annulment proceedings involving the collapse of Bank Century.
- Represented an Indonesian tycoon against a joint venture partner before the Singapore International Commercial Court for causing the collapse of $150m worth of public-listed shares under a complex non-recourse loan agreement.
News and client work
- +65 6506 2787
- Email me
- Speaks English and Mandarin
Career and qualifications
- National University of Singapore (LLB) 2005
- Justices' Law Clerk, Supreme Court of Singapore 2005 - 2006
- Admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor in Singapore 2007
- Senior Associate, Rajah & Tann LLP Aug 2007 - 2010
- University of Oxford, BCL (Distinction) 2011
- Called to the Bar of England and Wales (Middle Temple) 2012
- Partner, Rajah & Tann LLP 2013 - 2020
- Joined Cavenagh Law LLP as a Partner 2020
- Member, Professional Affairs Committee of the Singapore Academy of Law
- Council Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, ICC Commission on the Belt-and-Road Initiative
- Regional co-leader, Association Sussie de l’Arbitrage
Awards and citations
- "Leading Individual"
The Legal500 Asia Pacific 2020 for International Arbitration.
- "Paul Tan is extremely smart and a very good operator"
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2020 (Dispute Resolution: Arbitration – Singapore)
- One of "Singapore's most influential lawyers aged 40 and under"
Singapore Business Review
- “Paul Tan is a 'star performer' and 'a formidable strategist'...”
WWL Future Leaders (Arbitration) 2020
- "Singapore's Disputes Star of the Year"
The Asialaw Asia-Pacific Dispute Resolution Awards 2016